Tuesday, July 15, 2014

It Begins!

A few months back the I was invited to compete in the World Hot Air Balloon Championships in Rio Claro, Brazil.  After worrying about the events organization and trip cost (could cost upwards to $15,000 to attend), I decided not to attend.  Fortunately my good friend Todd "big bucks" Isley did decide to attend and invited me to attend as his Crew Chief.    I was quick to accept this invitation as 1) I actually did not think it would all work out, 2) It is a great opportunity to learn from the best pilots in the world, and 3) I knew it would a adventure (good or bad).

A few short weeks later Todd sent me airline tickets, and all of a sudden this trip "got real".  Since then there have been numerous emails, logistics (Travel Visa, shots, travel insurance,.....), balloon barrowing/fixing/changing-....... as well as attempted communication with the folks (our potential crew) in Brazil.  Here is what we know as of the today (the day we leave):

1)  A gentleman named Jonathan will be picking us up at the airport in Sao Paulo.  Jonathan will be our crew and driver for the week.  Yes, he will be living with us.  No, he does not speak English.  Yes, this will be interesting!

2)  Todd's balloon (which shipped with Paul and Andy's) cleared customs and should be waiting for us when we get there at the shipping agent.

3)  Not sure if we will have an inflator fan!  In all of our communications with the folks in Brazil, we have concluded that we have something called a "car fan".  Have not figured out what that is yet.  Expect that we will either have an inflator fan or an air conditioned car, or even perhaps one of those fans that mount on the dashboard.  Did I say this would be an adventure!


My plan is to update this frequently throughout the trip (we are supposed to have free WiFi.)  More to come, and GO TEAM USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment